learning from experience

It's been awhile since i posted something into my blog. I have been so busy with work and at the same time spend some time to do what i love which is sewing my own outfit.

This is the experience that i got from recent sewing project that i want to share. It's about fabric for your project. Well, many say that not all fabric can be treated the same and i did not listen until i encountered this type of fabric.
It is look okay in the picture but i have a hard time to make the edges neatly over-locked with serger machine. First time, i bought this fabric i thought it can be treated the same way with any other fabric that i normally purchased  but it is not. After i cut into pieces, the edges start to fray. I put it into serger machine to neat the edges, however it did not turn good and the edges kept on fraying. When my mom saw this, she suggested me to put the lining and serged it all together and Yeah finally it turned out good.

My advice if you are beginner sewer like me, maybe you can ask to the merchant about type of fabric that you are going to buy and check the type of fabric as well. If you have purchased type of fabric same as mine maybe you can try to cut your pieces together with the lining and serge it all together as the lining can sustain the fabric from fraying tho. Remember always over lock every edges to make it neat and tidy.

Note:
If you dont have serger machine you can use zigzag stiches that available on your sewing machine. If you dont have you can go to tailor place to ask them serge your pieces. I did it before i bought serger machine. I am not sure if that's available in your place. But here in Bintan, normally every tailor here can help you serge your pieces by paying around USD 1 to USD 4 depend on how many pieces you have.



Comments